Sky Quality Meter (SQM)
The "Sky Quality Meter" measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes per square arcsecond.
Chart of Recent Readings
- Find out how good the night REALLY is.
- Compare the sky brightness at different sites quantitatively.
- Document the evolution of light pollution in our area.
- Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and year-to-year.
- Determine which nights show the greatest promise for finding the 'faintest fuzzies'!
- Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and month-to-month sunspot activity.
- Help provide local ground truth for future sky brightness prediction with the Clear Sky Clock.